A letter to my second baby,

To My Jimmy,

I hope you know how much Daddy and I love you.  I hope you know how much I cherish our “Jimmy/Mommy time.” It is seldom that you get to have Mommy and Daddy all to yourself, and the times you do are limited and few and far between. I love to have both of my babies with me, but I also know the importance of building a personal bond with both you and your brother individually.  

Last night daddy was at a meeting and your brother was playing happily in the family room so I gave you a bath alone. Most nights you and Jake bathe together, it is easier for Mommy and you guys have so much fun together. But Jimmy I loved to see your smile when you looked around to see that you had the whole bath to yourself.  I loved how you soaked up the one-on-one attention from me. No big brother to squirt you repeatedly with the rubber football toy.  No one to overpower you by taking the toy you wanted. It was just you and me for a bit buddy!  You gave me your beautiful teeth-y ‘Jimmy smile” when I got you out and I melted.

As little as you are you were born being asked to share your toys, your mom and dad your grandparents and countless other things that Jake didn’t have to do. You are forced to play with your big brother and all his older buddies and you older cousins. I can understand when you get fussy and frustrated; it can be a tough life. Mommy wishes you could experience being number one, the top dog, the alpha male.  But God assigned you a different role. And I know you would be lost without your best friend, your big brother.

Jimmy, Your brother is bigger and — for now — stronger than you and, try as we might, sometimes he takes advantage of his dominance to rip toys from your hands or get the first ride on the ‘Gator’. Daddy and I try to oversee his behavior but we can’t always make things 100% fair. We relentlessly remind Jake that one day when he knocks your beloved football from you, you won’t surrender it so easily. And while hurting your brother is not condoned, I will silently do a victory dance when you show him your incredible strength. He’ll learn the hard way, I suppose.

Jimmy, even with the occasional struggles with your big brother, you are infectiously happy, extremely content and with a personality completely unique. You are an affectionate little boy who gives great slobber kisses and hugs with intense passion. You wrap your little arms tight around my neck and squeeze as hard as your little body will allow. 

Eighteen months ago, I brought you into this world. I loved you long before your first breath but I wondered how I would bond with you. Would I have the same love for you that I had for your brother? Would I have the capacity to love another like I loved him? How would I find the time and energy to give you the one-on-one time that I gave him? But I realize how silly I was to even question those things. You’re my Jimmy! You are forever my baby.  And the love I have for you fills me with eternal gratitude and pride that you joined our family and I was chosen to be your Mommy.

When you run to “Mama” every time your brother pushes you, or the dogs startle you with their bark, or you are at an unfamiliar place and just want me to hold you. I can be your protector. That’s my job. You can always count on me.

You and your brother are best friends, I know there will be days ahead where you don’t feel that way, but you will grow up having an alliance and a fraternity that only brothers can know. When that happens, you will see that arguments over who had the dump truck first or who got the red plate over the orange plate will seem insignificant.

Jimmy, your clothes are hand me downs. Your crib had been slept in a hundred times before you were born.  Some of your favorite toys were once brought for another little boy’s enjoyment. Your entire life may sometimes feel second hand.

My boy, I can assure you with every fiber in my being there is nothing second hand about our love for you. Fate might have made you second in birth order but you and your brother will always tie for first with Mommy & Daddy.

All my love,
Your “Mama”
 
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read. Please “like” and share with other mommy and daddy’s (or anyone) if you liked this. I, myself, am the oldest so I didn’t know what it was like to not be “top dog” and I hope my little Jimbo doesn’t feel that way either. Maybe other parents of two little ones can understand where I am coming from. Again, I appreciate your support!  

Comments

  1. I love this post... it makes me teary. This is how I feel about my little Leah, who is 2. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breanna, thank you for reading and sending me the nice words. Love to hear other mom's understand where I am coming from!

      Delete
  2. I have two boys that are four years apart and you have described how I have felt since I found out I was pregnant with my second child. Beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh baby its about to get wilder!

Sleep, sleep where art thou?