Sister-Sister

I grew up with built-in best friends. I grew up with two people that would love me and stand up for me and with me at any given second. I grew up with sisters! It was just the three of us, no brothers. You can imagine how many times people would say to my dad “oh poor Jim, ALL girls???” Honestly I think he loved it.  He wouldn’t have traded what he got for a little boy.  He had four dates wherever he went. All with our coordinating outfits and frilly socks and hair pulled back with matching bows, thanks to mom. We were the family he created and we always knew he was incredibly proud to be our father.

I remember hearing people constantly ask my mom “oh, I bet they just fight like cats and dogs, right?” But we didn’t. We had arguments here and there, and it wasn’t always sunny, But 95% of the time we got along. My mom instilled in us that we were sisters and friends and to treat each other kindly, because one day we will see how lucky we are to have a sister and a friend like Paige/Abby.  Our mom never compared us; I remember hearing how great Paige was at gymnastics, while Abby is a spelling whiz. She would point out their strengths without making me feel inferior that I was not as great at gymnastics, or spelling…..obviously. But I was good at other things.

Our mom gave us the ability to see the strengths in others as a positive and not a reflection of the weakness in ourselves.  Because of this I think that I have been able to create relationships with women that have lasted decades.  My ‘sisters’ do not only include my sisters that are by blood, but I also have a group of friends that while we no longer get to see each other as often, when we do, it’s like nothing has changed.

Each of my sisters has their strengths and have accomplished goals and reached milestones that I have been honored to be a part of.  I am humbled to call them my friends and to have a circle of women that I can reach out too and ask a question about the most awkward, uncomfortable, disgusting, humiliating or funny scenario and they will answer, no judgment, maybe just a laugh. 

I so often write about my boys. They are incredible and loveable but can be beyond words frustrating. I love my husband, he has my heart, and he knows me like a book.  So he also knows that there are times that I just need “girl time.” I need a glass (or five) of wine, and some unhealthy delicious food and some girl talk.  My sisters help to keep me standing when I feel like I could collapse form work, stress, kids…LIFE!

I am the oldest and while my two sisters are not much younger than me, for most of our life, I have been the one to give advice and I am told that THEY look up to ME.  I hope that they know, how indescribably proud I am of them. I am a better person for having them by my side as we grew up and continue to grow into wives and moms.  Paige and Abby you continue to astound me with your grace and unwavering commitment to me and my little boys. You are the most loyal friends that I could ever ask for.

Paige, your commitment to your work and the intensity for which you accomplish every task in front of you no matter how insurmountable it seems inspires me when things get tough.  I love your passion pretty Paigie!






Abby, I cannot wait to stand by your side on your wedding day, to marry the man who was made for you.  You are so selfless and giving and I am happy to see your ‘happily ever after’ come true. I love you beautiful baby sister!

Brittany, while you are my hubby’s sister but I will claim you as my own. J Thank you for loving and caring for my boys as though they were your own.  You are one of the most considerate people that I have ever met and an unbelievable mother! Love you “Aunt Bubba!”

All the other women that stand by me and lift me up thank you! I appreciate having a network of women who “get it”, who “get me” and who show me love. I hope that everyone reading this has “sisters” that they can rely on, reach out too, laugh with, cry with, who will pick up the piece when things fall apart and rejoice when they all come back together again.  I am so grateful for your friendship.

My sisters are also a reason I was pleased to have a second boy. So many people would say “ohh another boy, I bet you wanted a girl.” What I wanted is a healthy baby, and that’s what I got! Now I have two healthy little boys who are inseparable and have a bond that only brothers can share. I will be happy to see them as they grow into men to have a constant, faithful friend by their side. Like I have had in my life.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Sleep, sleep where art thou?