Ice, Ice Baby!

 
Okay, we live in the Midwest, and I know that snow and cold weather are part of living the Midwest. But seriously Mother Nature? You have been relentless this year! I love a good snow storm, the town blanketed in white, staying in, warm and cozy with my babies.  But mommy also has to work, so when those snowstorms come and I have to take my little people out in the 12” of snow, I don’t find it as beautiful. This morning we got ice, and it just keeps on coming! Driving on ice is scary, driving on ice with your babies in the back it terrifying, driving on ice with your babies in the back and you need new tires desperately, gives me more an anxiety that being at chucky cheese on a crowded weekend afternoon.

This morning to go along with the ice, our daycare is closed in observance of Presidents Day…..Mommy’s work is not observing that day and I need to get there. Very thankful to have a sister-in-law who is wonderful with the boys and will watch them today, and she lives SUPER close, therefore I don’t have to “car-skate” too far with my little guys in the back seat as I slide through stop signs.  There is a soft curve in our neighborhood and as I was going 15mph into the curve my car had other plans, it decided to go straight. Thankfully just into someone’s yard (whoops, sorry distant neighbor). As my heart races and I am trying not to panic (and curse) I am saying “the car isn’t turning, the car isn’t turning, THE CAR IS NOT TURNING!” Then, phew, hit the snow in the yard and avoided the light pole ‘VICOTORY!’ Then comes the all-knowing three year old from the back seat: “mommy I don’t think this is someone’s drive way, you’re not supposed to go this way.” What I wanted to say- “Thanks for the drive’s Ed lesson, I just need to re-start my heart because I thought we were going straight into the damn light pole, ya little smarty pants.”  What I actually said- “I know buddy, that’s why mommy has to REALLY pay attention when the roads are snowy and icy.”

Before I drop the boys off with their Aunt, Jake has his dentist apt. Now this is a BIG deal. My child LOOOOOVES the dentist! We go to a wonderful dentist office where they have a day that focuses on children, the office is decorated special and the entire staff is energetic, upbeat and above all else, patient with all the little kids! Jake went 6 months ago, so it was time to go again. My little guy is a sports nut, and usually will only wear something if it is St. Louis Cardinal Baseball, Chicago Bears Football, or at least has some kind of sports paraphernalia on it. But this morning when he was picking out his outfit he pointed to his sweater I got him to wear of Christmas and said “I should wear my white sweater, it’s a big day!” He got all dressed looking so fancy and then asked “should we put gel in my hair today?” Seriously when a three-year-old is getting himself “dressed-up” it is the cutest thing ever! I gelled his hair and we were on our way to the dentist.

Jake at christmas with his sweater on
As soon as we finish up at the dentist I’m dropping them off with my sis-in-law and I’m heading to work. So I am in business clothes and my high heels (yes, smartest idea yet…not) carrying Jimmy on my hip, holding Jake’s hand, so he doesn’t slip and fall as we walk across the parking lot that could put the ice rink in the Olympic games to shame. Someone may have just used the Zamboni on this parking lot cause it was smooth and flawlessly slick.

Jake slipped but I did catch him, and I managed, NOT to pull his arm out-of-socket and I was trying not to let his body fall to the ground. We got inside and it was quitter then usually, I assume there were many cancellations.  But it was decorated beautifully, and so kid-friendly.

Our amazing hygienist called us back very quickly and Jake hopped up in the chair like, ‘he owned the place’. You could have charged him admission because the automatic dentist chair, is something he would ride all day long. J  He got to pick out his toothpaste flavor and they started. Brushed, and flossed all his teeth. The little water sprayer, is another item that I think is now on Jake’s Christmas list.  Jake seems to favor ‘blondes’ (probably because mommy is blonde) but after we got in the car he quietly said “Charlee, has brown hair, and she is VERY pretty”, so maybe this is why he was so good. Little man has a crush. The hygienist was finished and we waited on the doctor to come in and give us the “okay” that everything looked good. Dr. Hearring came in and Jake quickly asked “what’s your name?” I told him it was Dr. Hearring, Charlee told him he could call him Dr. Brian and the Dr. politely said “you can call me anything.” So Jake looked at him and said “Okay I think I’ll just call you Dr. John!” (no, idea where that came from but Jake was pleased with his new name choice.) Dr. Hearring went with it and told us that everything looked great!...Phew My child’s teeth are not rotting!

Jake at the dentist in August for the first time!
We said bye to “Dr. John” and Charlee, and the rest of the amazing staff and headed back out to the award winning ice skating rink that was their parking lot. Got both boys in the car, WITHOUT slipping and more importantly, without losing their balloons. Headed to their aunts house for a day full of fun and playing with their cousin. I headed to work, and while driving on the ice is still treacherous and scary, I am much more comfortable when my little peanuts are not in the car with me.

Eating lunch with their cousin at their aunts today!
I hope everyone is careful if you are driving in this icy weather, and if you are someplace warm and tropical please send me a picture so I can imagine it, I am so jealous.  It seems like this cold winter is NEVER going to end! Also for any other mommies looking for a GREAT place to take your little ones to the dentist I highly recommend Renken Dentistry, if you are close to Central Illinois.

Jimmy, cause I can't only have pictures of Jakers. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Sleep, sleep where art thou?