Dynamic Duo





I knew it would happen…. The day that my boys would gang up to work WITH each other and AGAINST me, I just thought I might have a couple more years. My little dynamic duo has done the whole bit where one of them is awake from 1:00am-2:30am and then will go to sleep only to have the other one up at 2:45am just as I close my eyes to drift off to sleep myself.  They play a little game of ping pong with mommy as I go back and forth from room to room and eventually watch the sun start to rise.  These are also the nights that they both scream “I WANT MOMMY!” when daddy tries to help.  So my husband happily comes in, lies down in bed and says “sorry babe, he wants you.” (I can only imagine him trying to hide his smile as he crawls back into bed.)  So I shove my elbow into my husband back and get up to go console whichever boy is up at the time.

I am sure that the ping pong of sleepless night will still happen but the shenanigans they are starting to pull are more calculated.  This alone makes me slightly terrified for their teenage years.  Because frankly I am smarter than they are…now, but I am not so sure that will be the case as they get older.  Like I have written about before and other working moms may be able to relate, mornings are CRAZY! Trying to get everyone out the door is insane.

This morning I get the boys a little breakfast and as they finish up eating their bananas and cereal I run back to my room to get dressed. Neither of them were very pleased with the food I had given them because my little Jake (god love him, has his mommy’s sweet tooth) wanted a cookie.  (Silly mommy left the Girl Scout cookies visible.) Jimmy wanted juice instead of milk. Both of which I said “after you eat what I gave you, you can have a cookie/ juice.” They proceeded to fuss as I was putting on my clothes, which as horrible as this sounds it doesn’t bother me because then I know they are not chocking. (I know mother of the frickin’ year, I don’t like to walk out of the room while they eat, but a few mornings it happens.) Anyways all of a sudden there is no more fussing, and both boys were laughing.  As sweet as their laughter sounds this is a cause for concern.  I come out and they are both sitting perfectly in their chair, both holding a Girl Scout cookie in EACH hand…. while the dogs happily gobble up the scraps of the cereal and bananas.

I looked at Jakes who in THIS scenario is the culprit. He raises his eyebrows when he looks at me as if to say “what, everything is totally normal here.”  When I asked him what he thought he was doing? He emotionlessly and without attitude said, “Well, Jimmy wanted a cookie and kept crying, I wanted a cookie and kept crying too, so I got us both a cookie. Now we’re not crying, So THAT’S good!” Then in unison, as if Jake was speaking for Jimmy too, they looked and smiled at me while Girl Scout shortbread cookie crumbs fell from their mouths.  

I quickly said “Jacob you didn’t listen to mommy and I don’t appreciate that!” as I ran back into my room to keep from laughing in front of him. O well there are some instances that are too funny to REALLY care. Cookies in our house are a hot commodity, they go fast.  Oreo’s are a favorite and I usually don’t buy them because I can eat them in one sitting and my will power towards them is weak.   And apparently so are Jake and Jimmy’s listening skills.

 

The morning when I turned around after blow drying my hair to find Jake eating an oreo was interesting.  I hid the oreo’s, pretty high up in our pantry and out of the line of sight of little boys…and daddy. (I like them for MY snack.J) So when he appeared with one, I was confused. That’s when I should have known “the dynamic duo strikes again!” I asked Jake where he got the Oreo and he politely informed me that Jimmy had gotten it for him out of the pantry.

I race to the kitchen to find my little climber on a shelf that is about 4.5’-5’tall. His little body was hunched between two shelves and he was COVERED in chocolate! Not only did he climb the pantry shelves like a ladder, but then he somehow opened up the oreos, and preceded to sit on the pantry shelve and eat them,  occasionally tossing some down to his big brother. I was annoyed at them and myself for letting this happen and the huge mess that ensued because of it.  Jake must have seen my face was less than excited and Jake proud as can be of his baby brother said “look, he found us the Oreo’s and he’s sharing, don’t be mad mommy, Jimmy is such a good boy!”  As Jimmy tosses down another oreo to Jake and cookie crumbs scatter across my kitchen floor.

They completely understand that there is only one mom, and TWO of them.  This is not comforting, as they plot their little schemes.  So often it is the bath tub ritual while I get one out of the bath the other escapes out of the bathroom and runs full boar through the house naked as can be….So what can I do but let the other do it? I am not sure if it is because I love their teamwork, their excitement, their complete love for one another or that I just love seeing their naked baby butt’s run around but I let it happen many nights!

Needless to say that these cookie stunts alone, make me acutely aware that I will never leave town and let them stay at home alone when they are older.  I most definitely won’t find it cute if I see their naked butts running through my house when they are 17. J But for now I will giggle to myself as they run through the house after each other squealing. The pitter patter of their little feet running down my hallways is too sweet.  And just as I get caught in my blissful moment I hear “Don’t you like to feel wind on your wiener Jimmy?” and I am back in the reality of the joy of boys!

Love me little Dynamic Duo!

 

Thank you again for all who read each post and have continued to tell me that they can relate and enjoy my blog. It means a lot! For the individuals who do not have Facebook (and even those that do) I have a link now on the blog to sign up to receive the blog in an email each time I post or to subscribe to the blog through 'Bloglovin'.  Again thank you to everyone for reading and sharing and passing along to friends! Life with kids is entertaining!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Sleep, sleep where art thou?