A extra special day…..a Birthday!

During the fall my schedule at work picks up quite a bit, that just so happens to coincide with two very special little boys birthdays.  It makes for some busy weeks preparing for birthday parties, and some tiring weekend with lots of celebrating and little sleep. 














Birthdays were always a big deal growing up, so despite my schedule I plan to make sure that my boys feel the same way.  A birthday IS special; it is a whole day, dedicated to you!  I know that I hype up the boys birthdays more than they may understand at this age but it is also very special to me. In fact their birthday is possibly more special to me then to them.

Growing up I loved that I was showered with attention on my birthday, I liked the special birthday treats and the school parties, I loved that my mom always made what I wanted for dinner for a week straight. I still love my birthday mainly because of the memories that I had about it growing up and how special I felt on that day.

But now, like so many other aspect of my life I look at birthdays differently. Not necessarily my own, but my boys. Their birthdays are all about them, and I will continue that tradition as my mom did with my sisters and me. However now I can see that my mom’s excitement for our birthdays was never false or forced.  Each year when my boys birthdays rolls around I have a mental play-by-play in my head of the day (or night) that they were born…. (Oh its 4:34pm October 3rd we were walking into the hospital in active labor with Jake) or (5:56am, September 7th- Telling Jared that these are not just back pains but I think I am in labor with Jimmy). These flashes of times and activities happen the entire day.

When 2:36am on October 4th comes and 1:55pm on September 7th there is no one in this world more excited for my birthday boy but me. Those are the times that I was made a mommy and then again. Those were the times that a new, perfect little soul took a breath for the first time, and those moments are forever etched into my heart because you changed my life forever, for the better. 
Jimmy and Mommy
Jake and mommy






Jake and Jimmy,
Each year on your birthday I am remembering and celebrating your day of birth, the day my world, for moments, stood still to take in the gravity of the momentous occasion of us meeting for the first time. I am remembering your warm little body snuggled up to mine and for the first time feeling what it would be like to be a super hero, for I would and will do whatever it takes to keep you safe. While I look at you and sing happy birthday to you at your parties each year, I will be quick to wipe away my happy tears. Your smiling faces and the happy occasion remind me briefly of our first meeting and it amazes me how far we have come. It is impossible to think of my world without you.  Your birthdays will always be about you, but they will always be more important to me.  Because the days that I got you two as gifts far exceeds any birthday I have ever had.

I will celebrate you each day,

Love mommy! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Oh baby its about to get wilder!

Mother of the groom