Mother of the groom


My baby sister got married this weekend, she could not have looked more beautiful and her ceremony and reception were magnificent.  My other sister and I were her co-maids of honor. I had many ‘favorite’ memories of the day, I loved seeing her and my dad walk down the aisle and then seeing her and her new husband be announced and walk back up the isle as husband and wife.  I loved toasting to her and her new hubby at the reception and dancing the night away. But what I liked most were the moments in the bridal suite, sitting around the table with us all getting our hair and make-up done.  This was the time that we go to REALLY talk.

 
This was the time that we could ‘ohh’ and ‘ahh’ over each other as we would finish getting our hair and make-up done and complement each other as to how beautiful the other looked.  This was the time we talked about funny stories from when Abby was growing up.  We also got to hear about the funny stories when Chris (her husband) was growing up- from his mom and sisters perspective.

We have talked about our wedding days since we were little girls. I have already lived my dream, we will be married six years in just a few weeks and there were so many memories that I remember having on my wedding day that I felt again for my little sister on hers. The anticipation of seeing your handsome groom, the appreciation for your parents and all their sacrifice and then sadness as you see the tears rolling down your dad’s face as he walks down the aisle to ‘give away’ his little girl. As I watched my little sister and best friend go through this I felt how I did on MY wedding day all over again, all but ONE thing.

 It wasn’t until Chris’ mom got a call- she was sitting around the table with all of us, reveling in Abby’s beauty when her phone rang. It was HER baby, her little boy was calling her and said “I’m all ready, do you want to come see me before the ceremony?”   

Weddings are so focused on the bride, and I know will continue to be, but it wasn’t until that moment that I realized one day I will have a phone call from a man.  An incredible, talented, humbled, intelligent, strong, handsome man; a man that I have nurtured and loved more than anything in this world.  A man that I have watched through all milestones of his life.  A man that I would, until the day I die put my life on the line if it meant he got to keep his. On this day, with this phone call I will no longer be the number one women in his life.  As it should be, I will come second to his wife. 

As everyone will be watching the bride, it will be hard to turn away from staring proudly and honorably at the man I raised, standing waiting for his bride.  His eyes only on one thing, the beautiful women who will be walking towards him. It is in the moment that I can remember the moments of ‘today’.  The days when I pick my little boys up as they come running to me, arms-wide open.  At night when they tell me with all honesty “mommy YOU are the prettiest girl in the world!” When I drop them off at school and they want another “BIG” kiss.  I will remember these along with all the memories yet to be made, as he is standing there waiting for his bride.

I will look at weddings differently now.  Now after witnessing that phone call and now after having two little boys of my own.  My little boys were ring bearers and it was hard not to flash forward, as they walked down that aisle in their tiny tuxedos, I could have burst with pride.  They are not quite 2 and 4 and I don’t know how it already went this fast…..so please slow down, let me relish in being their number one girl, let me rock them to sleep and kiss their sore knees. However I know no matter how fast or slow times goes I will never be ready to ‘let them go’.

My wish is that they each find a spouse who shares a mutual love, continued respect and equivalent values.  I wish them happiness.




Comments

  1. WOW!! Just when I think you can't possibly write a better one . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, one day it will be you watching you little boy. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Sleep, sleep where art thou?