Christmas is here….where did 2014 go!

Wow, it has been far too long since I have had a minute to sit down and write.  I don’t think I really have that much time now but I am making the time.  Yesterday, I was busy scurrying around trying to get last minute items for the boys and for family along with stopping by the grocery store to get the ingredients to make the dishes I need to prepare for the family parties I am reminded how buys this time of year is.  








I was not with my smiley, happy….sometimes crazy little boys and I was actually able to concentrate on what I needed, I was able to take in what was going on around me and wasn't zeroed in on the two little boys in the cart. However, surprisingly, what I realized is how much I wished the boys were with me. (For moms of little kids I know this sounds crazy) but when they are with me I don’t have time to see or realize the ugliness that this season can bring. When I have the boys with me the ugliness that can come at this time of year becomes so over shadowed by the two beams of light that shine brightly in the cart that I am pushing. While I complain that it takes me longer when I have them with me, they make my shopping experience, this season and my life brighter each day for being a part of it.

To the women who was so distraught by me not getting green beans fast enough so that you could get them….”Chill out, I am not going to buy the entire freezer and not leave you any, there is plenty to go around.” To the women who came up to the wrapping paper bin that I was looking at and yelled “Dammit I needed that one!” only AFTER I chose, I hope you enjoyed the paper and I just wanted to let you know that I found the same paper a mere 3 feet further in another bin….just in case you were thinking of me. To the countless other who forget the rules that we learned in kindergarten, when this season approaches I hope you can look at the people that you are buying the presents for and think “would they be proud to see me act this way?”

I think this all as I am going over in my mind our busy schedule the next could days and where we need to be and at what time. This morning as I got two very tired but very ‘Christmas-excited’ boys ready for school Jake said  to me “I just want to stay at home.” I was surprised, he has his school Christmas party today and I know he will have fun. However I was more surprised when I heard his answer as to why. I told him that after today we have five ‘stay-at-home-days’ and Santa comes tomorrow night!  He responded with “I know but then we are so busy and we go lots and lots of places, so that’s why I thought today we could just stay at home and slow down.” …..now this child is too smart for his own good, and I am still trying to figure out if he was ‘playing me’ or if this is his honest feelings.  But like with everything I am doing in motherhood I am now second-guessing myself like crazy.

-Do we do too much on the day? –Do I not let them enjoy it enough?  –should we stay home more? –Are they going to look back and hate that we were so busy?

So this year I will take Jake’s advice, we will slow down. We will get to every place that we need to go but we may not always be perfectly on time. We will be there, we will be merry and we will be very blessed to be surrounded by loving family.

Jake’s 2014 in review
You started to play soccer for the first time on a team out at Chatham Community Park. While I think you liked it, you continue to show more interest in your beloved baseball. You went to three cardinal games this year….and one you even got to go right down by the field thanks to mommy’s work, you of course wore your cardinal uniform and attracted almost as much attention as the players on the field!  You were the most handsome little 3 year old ring bearer I've ever seen and I wept as I watched you walk down the isle at Abby and Chris’ Wedding. You asked mommy out on a prom date and because we had the tux you got dressed up and so did mommy for our fancy dinner, you were such a gentleman.  We ended our summer with our first family vacation to the ocean, and like with many other ‘firsts’ I cried as I watch you run towards the ocean for the first time listening to your squeals of excitement. In October you turned 4 years old and had another baseball birthday party, it was freezing but you didn't mind! And in school you were in your first play and mommy couldn't have been prouder of you! 

Jacob Lee, you have grown so much in a year. You never cease to amaze me. You are an old soul with a kind heart and an inquisitive mind. You make me look at the world different.  You make me question things I would have never thought to question before, but I do so because I know the importance it means to you to understand how things work. I never thought I would know so much about baseball, John Deere, geography or history, but I push myself to learn more in the fields that you show interest. Thank you for expanding my mind and continually expanding my heart.

Jimmy’s 2014 in review
You continue your exquisite ability to climb anything. You were a ring bearer with your brother in Abby and Chris' wedding, honesty I didn't know they made tux's that little, your were the most handsome 1 year old ever! This year you went to your very first cardinal game and it was with the whole family, you liked but I think you liked the cotton candy better.  We took you on your first family vacation to the beach and while I was worried about you on the long 16 hour car ride, you were the best passenger out of anyone! You turned 2 in September and we went to the park for your party, it was a beautiful day! You had surgery to fix a hernia and you were a much better patient than mommy! In December you had your first Christmas program, and while you didn't sing much (I know you know the songs) and you looked adorable.  I think your biggest accomplishment this year is the “art of trouble-making” you have an undeniable gift of getting yourself out of trouble with the slight twist of your head and a sweet little grin while looking out of the corner of your eyes that makes it impossible to be mad.

James Donald, you are my “Mr. Trouble” but you are the brightest ray of sunshine.  Your smile lights up a room and you are rarely unhappy.  You are a tough little boy who has taken a lot of spills this year and you get up with a smile and a knot of our head.  Your vocabulary is out of this world and you never stop talking.  You are so very polite and are always the first with a “please”, “Thank-You”, or “God Bless You”. I can forget that you are still ONLY two because you sometimes act so much older. This year you went from a toddler to a little boy, and while I knew that was going to happen I wish it would slow down.  Jimmy, my heart skips a beat every time I see you at the end of my day. Thank you for making me smile and for the sweet kisses and “I Love you’s” every night at bed this year. 






For the Family and friends and teachers who are in my boys life and continue to help them grow and make them better people, thank you. Thank you for your efforts in 2014, I know Jared and I certainly couldn't do this alone and we appreciate all the love that our boys get!
Merry Christmas Happy Holiday!
The Koesters,
Angie, Jared, Jake & Jimmy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Oh baby its about to get wilder!