A little kindness goes a long way

I often tell the kids in a joking way to “stop growing up” or after they do something that is helpful or have good behavior I’ll say, “how did you get so grown up?” they usually just laugh and love the praise and acknowledgement, not really saying anything in return.

It is no secret that Jimmy talks A LOT! (I mean he NEVER stops) Sometimes in the mists of dinner, bath, bedtime, homework, the dog, grocery shopping, trying to talk to the hubs, it can get frustrating to never have a moment of silence when that little dude is around.

He often moves down on his discipline chart at school for that very reason. When I pick him up from school to ask what color he ended on and his eyes drop. “I was talking to much again.” It’s frustrating and slightly amusing, but I worry about him going to Kindergarten. He is SO much different than his big brother, and I hate when people compare the two, Jake is stereotypical first child (not that that also doesn’t have its downfalls) and aims to please at all times. My Jimmy is a little more of a free spirit.




Today walking down the stairs at daycare Jimmy opened the door and said “there you go my lady!” as I laughed and grabbed his hand to walk the hallway I asked him “When did you learn to be such a gentleman, sir!” He responded, “I didn’t, you just taught me to be kind.”

Oh, those mom moments when the littlest phrases flood your heart with love and your eyes with tears. “Jimmy you are kind, that is one of the things that makes me the most proud of you, you love everyone and always help if needed, that is very grown up. Do you know that makes me proud of you?” He gave me his coy smile and squeezed my hand, “I just want to be like you mom.”   

My sweet littlest boy, you talk incessantly. You march to your own drum, and unlike so many little brothers you pave your own road and walk your own path not to be shadowed by your brother. But little mister you are without a doubt the kindest little human. You don’t mean any harm when you are talking, and moving your clip down on your disciplinary chart is not because you were hurtful to others.

I need to remember to have the same compassion as you do for others when I talk to you about trying to listen more and talk a little less when the teacher asks that of you. In my times of frustration and worry about you going to kindergarten next year and making sure YOU are ready for school, I need to remember that your kindness, compassion and beautiful little disposition will take you far. You are too smart for your own good and intellectually you would have mastered kindergarten this year. But I am thankful for one more year of maturity and one more year of a little boy who is never “to cool” for his mom.


I know YOU are ready for Kindergarten, I just hope THEY are ready for all wonderful, crazy, brilliance that you bring. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Oh baby its about to get wilder!