I get to go to Prom!

Several weeks ago we saw a picture of one of the girls that used to be a teacher in Jake’s room at daycare.  She and her boyfriend were all dressed up in the picture.  Jake immediately noticed it and told me “hey, that boy is wearing a tuxedo!” He recognized this because he got to wear a tuxedo a little over a month ago for my sister’s wedding, where he was one of the cutest ring bearers I have ever seen. (no bias at all) Jake asked me if the guy in the picture was going to be a ring bearer in a wedding too.  

Mommy: No, he is going to prom
Jake: But he is in a tuxedo
Mommy: Yes, but you can wear a tuxedo to other fancy events too
Jake: What is a prom?
Mommy: It is a dance that you will get to go to when you are older.
Jake: But I am older now, so can I go now?
Mommy: No, You will want to ask a beautiful and very nice girl to go with you, and you guys can dress up and go out to eat at a nice restaurant.
Jake: okay…..(30 second later)
Jake: Mommy, you are the most prettiest girl in my whole world, do you want to go to prom with   me?.... I already have a tuxedo
Mommy: Oh yes you do from Abby’s wedding, huh
Jake: Yes, you will wear your dress and JUST me and you will go to prom….NO JIMMY OR DADDY!
Mommy: Jakers, I would love to go to prom with you. We will dress up and go to dinner, and then we will find a place to dance. (It might be our living room)
Jake: Mommy I would like that So So So much! Thank you!

 While I had a wonderful time at my own high school prom and really liked my date, I think my favorite prom is yet to come.  We will have a reservation at a nice Italian restaurant. (Jakers likes Spaghetti, with no sauce) and then he would like to take me to the ‘music in the mall’ (aka ride the carousel).  He told me “Mommy we can dance by the horses!”…..Yes my little man, we can!

I am sure we will get plenty of stares with a 3 year old in a tuxedo and me in a formal dress, on a random Saturday night going out to dinner, but who cares? I was lucky enough to be asked to Prom by one of the most beautiful little humans I have ever known…..I will NOT miss that opportunity.  There are a lot of Daddy/Daughter dances, where little girls get to dress up and go on dates with their dad’s, well we are making our own, Mommy/Son prom! 

Jacob Lee,
While you are not yet four years old, you have a heart of gold and compassion to love others that is well beyond your physical age.  You are ornery and crazy, but wildly funny.  You show me and everyone around you a deeper love then most people can understand.  Your words are sincere even when your actions may have been disapproving.  Sweetheart I love you to the depth of my soul and back again.  Thank you for asking me to prom, I am looking forward to our date more than you can understand.
                                         Always yours,
                                                 Mommy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Hubby, I love you too!