Hard to let go


It is hard not to associate fall and school starting with being another year older. Even if your numerical age doesn’t change until spring you still feel older.  You are no longer that little ten year old in 4th grade, but now you are a “grown-up” ten year old in 5th grade. I used to love the first day of school, riding the bus to my new class, I was full of anticipate, excitement and anxiety for what was to come.

My Niece on her first Day!
Today I see countless pictures of all my friends and their little ones with the “First Day School” pictures I can’t help but feel nostalgic. This is one year closer to my baby going to the ‘big-kid’ school. One year less that he doesn’t have to worry about the homework and school pressure. I will be excited for him to go to Kindergarten and slightly heartbroken at the same time. He starts in his 4 year old room Monday and continuously reminds me how big he is, how much he is going to learn in his new ‘big-boy 4-year old” room, and how he just can’t wait to grow big. “Oh, my little miracle mommy can wait. It has gone so fast already, let me keep you little.”

My “baby” Jimmy will be going to the two year old room starting Monday as well and it doesn’t seem possible. Jake was in that exact same room when I was pregnant with Jimmy…”How is Jimmy old enough to be in there now” …..but I know he is, I know he is more than ready and I know that he will learn and grow so much in the next year with his amazing teachers, “but where did my tiny baby go?”



Last night I was putting Jake to bed and as we walked from my room to his room I asked him, “do you want me to carry you, or do you want to walk?” his response was perfect “Mommy, DO YOU want to carry me?”…..”Yes buddy, I’d love to carry you to bed” Jake obliged but let me know “you can only do this for a couple more days, and then I will be too big.

Jake & Jimmy,

I would love to carry you
One more time before you grow
I want to tell you endlessly that ‘I love you’
So that you will always know

 
Mornings are so busy
Getting ready, you, brother and me
That I forget time passes quickly
It is no longer two babies that I see
 

So let me tie your shoes today
One day you’ll tie them on your own
Please remember mommy
And I hope it is love I have always shown

 
You are my sweet angel on earth,
An instantaneous kind of love
You are more perfect then I could have imagined
Surely a gift sent from up above
 

Tonight can I please wash your hair?
Let me give you one more bath
Can I help you count your small ten toes
before I teach you math?

 

Before you join a baseball team
can I pitch you one more ball?
One more bike ride, with me chasing behind
to make sure you don't fall?

 
I no longer need to help you up the hill
That you were once too small to climb
So let me read you stories
While you are young and still give me the time
 

I want to be a part
Of everything you do
There is a part of my heart that is not whole
Unless I am with you


I know the day will come
when you will do these things alone.
Will you remember our breakfast dates?
And all the balls we’ve thrown?

 
I know you’ll grow up big and strong
Yes, stronger then daddy you’ll be
And when you find success
There will be no soul more proud than me.





So yes, I’d like carry you
One day you'll walk alone.
I cannot stand to miss one day
from now until you've grown.
 
I Love you boys!
~Love mommy!





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Hubby, I love you too!