What does your dad do?






I will start this by saying that I had an incredible childhood, I could have wished for more dolls, or wished for more clothes but I never needed to wish for more love. My parents gave us the love and attention that I hope my own children feel.  I knew we were never the “rich kids” but my parents worked hard to make sure we were well into the “middle class.”  We were not surrounded my 5,000 square feet of antiques and priceless paintings but we had our great-grandmothers china and other inherited pieces, and the sentimental value was far more than any price tag.

My Dad works in the construction trade. He doesn’t wear fancy suits to work every day and he doesn’t come home smelling clean. He had never needed “gym-time,” his work-out is at least five days a week for eight hours or more. There is no polish and shoe shines, instead its new laces and knocking yesterday’s dirt off. His hands are calloused and his shoulders are sore, but loves what he does.  His skill set is exquisite and his knowledge of the trade is astounding. However there are no initials following his name.  He is not a MD, DMD, PhD or even MBA.

My dad is a proud man, an honest man and a humble man. He would never tell us, but as we would talk about one friend or another and rattle off their father’s occupation as if to signify their success, I can look back now and see that made him feel less then what he was. Dad, if I never told you, I have always been more than proud to say that YOU were MY dad.

Dad,

I hope you have realized now, that we are grown and you do not have (as much) of the financial stress of raising three little girls, that your worth was never in your salary. And to this day when someone asks me “what does your dad do?” I am happy to say: My dad is an independent contractor, but what he does is come to every high school football and basketball game to watch me cheer.

What he does is take me to get my driver’s license

What he does is move me to college and then walks away before he thinks I can see him cry when it is time to say good-bye

What he does is drive in a snow storm for 3 hours to watch me walk the stage at college graduation

What he does is encourage me in my defeats

What he does is swell with pride when I do something great

What he does is cry as he dances our father-daughter dance at my wedding

What he does is love my sons like the sun rises and sets in their eyes

What he does is cherish my mom, and shows me how I deserve to be loved

What he does is hug me, and tell me how much he loves me each and everyday

What he does is be present, unwavering and continually present in my life.

            Thanks Dad,

I love you!


I often write to other moms within this blog, but I am surrounded by wonderful fathers (my dad, husband, father-in-law, bothers-in-law) and many other friends and acquaintances I have met through social media.

Dads, while you are all working to keep food on the table and shoes on your families feet don’t think that you are only as good as your status symbol. While you are busy making a name for yourself at work, don’t forget, it is just as important to build your legacy at home. Most importantly, just because someone has a bigger roof over their head doesn’t make them a more successful father. Your success lies in the tiny blessings that start out knowing two things; you are their daddy, and they love you!
Dad with My son

Dad with Me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Sleep, sleep where art thou?