An encouraging, Thank you


I am a “working mom,” which I never really understood this term.  I am sure anyone who is a mother herself knows that you work your tail off whether you stay at home with you little ones or work outside the home. 

 
For several years I was a “non-working mom,” (I mean this completely fictitiously).  However I stayed at home for two years with Jake and felt when people asked me ‘what I did for a living’ and I replied with “I am a stay-at-home mom” they somehow thought that diminished my intellectual aptitude. I think whether you stay-at-home or work outside the home you get labels.

 
I now work outside the home and when I run into women that stay at home with their little peanuts it is difficult to hear, “Oh I couldn’t work outside the home; I would miss my kids too much!” Implying, I DON’T miss my kids? Either way being a mom is tough. I try to look at other moms without judgment. I whole heartedly think that I will parent my kids and you can parent yours. The parenting doesn’t and shouldn’t be the same, mainly because the children are not the same.  Each child requires a different kind of love, communication and discipline.     
 
 
 I love when my paths cross with other mom who I can relate to.  The moms who are not only fantastic moms but great women, the moms that despite being exhausted and  wiry know that the job they are currently doing is the most important job.

 
There isn’t much glamour in it, and you will never walk a red carpet, or win an Emmy for it, but you will have the unconditional love of a little person who was placed in your hands to nurture and protect.  To teach to walk, and talk and guide through all the different paths life can lead.  To teach to be strong and independent, yet be kind and sincere. To be confident and loving, while being gracious and loyal. This will, with any luck, produce a man or woman who I am sure will exceed all you expectations.
Bath buddies

 
I by no means am perfect, but I do try with ever thing that I have, to be a good wife and mother. Times when my kids ask “just another minute” in the bath tub, when I am ready for them to get out and get ready for bed. Or “please read a little more” when it is already way past bedtime.  The mornings when they want “one more kiss” when I drop them off for school, and I am already late for work. In these minutes I try to remember that while I am tired, or drained or late for work, they are more important.
Jake Kisses

 
Throughout the day each of these ‘tiring’ minutes adds up to hours, which turns into weeks and then months to create years which builds a life. A beautiful life filled with ordinary enough “mom” moments, which you can’t let yourself look over. This is what matters, THEY are what matter.  One more hug before I go to work will not hurt anyone, and ‘how lucky am I that he wants to hug me, again? 

 
So for the other wonderful moms, who I have met along the way,

 Today. Tomorrow. Yesterday.

You are amazing, you have a difficult job to do and thank you for letting me lean on you when I am not sure of my own footing.

Rocking my Jimmy to sleep on his first birthday
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my second baby,

Mother of the groom

Sleep, sleep where art thou?